The Architectural Institute of British Columbia invites submissions from those interested in speaking, participating in panel discussions, or facilitating interactive workshops at the 2022 AIBC Conference.
Held every second year, the AIBC Conference attracts 500+ attendees over two and a half days. Architectural professionals from across B.C. and beyond come together to attend more than 20 speaking sessions, as well as engaging evening events.
- Date: Monday, May 2 to Wednesday, May 4, 2022
- Location: Vancouver Convention Centre West
- Website: conference.aibc.ca
- Presentation Submission Form: Conference 2022 Submission Form
View to the Future
The theme for AIBC Conference 2022 is “View to the Future”: Looking ahead with purpose requires acknowledging where you are, at the current point in time. Whether planning a design, envisioning an idea, or contemplating “what’s next?”, it is critical to pause and reflect, to have a view to the future. It is not simply about moving forward, but also learning from the past to build a better tomorrow.
Much has changed in the world: now more than ever, it is imperative to keep current with technological and industrial innovation, and be responsive to professional and societal expectations. Through the lens of “View to the Future”, AIBC Conference 2022 will explore these transformations and discuss the latest sustainable technologies, policies, design innovations, and the pertinent matters influencing architectural practice.
A variety of presentation formats are sought, including lectures, panel discussions and workshops. The AIBC is looking for presenters who are experts in their fields and familiar with presenting to groups of 30 to 120.
The following criteria will be examined when reviewing and selecting submissions:
- Inspired content that is clear, concise and educational in nature;
- Relevance to the profession of architecture;
- Compliant with the necessary standards for AIBC’s Continuing Education System; and
- Qualified speakers with experience presenting at similar regional, national, or international conferences.
The Conference Professional Development (PD) Committee is specifically interested in presentations related to the following topics:
- Sustainable technologies: mass timber, Step Code, Passive House, etc.
- Truth and Reconciliation: learning from Indigenous culture and design, working with Indigenous groups
- Diversity and inclusion in the architecture profession: overcoming barriers and unconscious bias
- Design in a post-COVID-19 world: learning from the pandemic; impacts on design, project delivery, and community engagement
- Innovative technologies
- Integrated design
- Urban planning policy and design; designing for affordability and/or temporary housing
- Cross-cultural influences on architecture
- Architectural theory and critique
- Architectural Case Studies embodying the topics above
July 8, 2021: Call for Submissions issued
September 15, 2021: Call for Submissions closes
Late October: Speakers notified
The deadline to submit a proposal to speak at AIBC Conference 2022 is September 15, 2021.
View the Conference Submission Form.