The AIBC invites submissions from those interested in speaking, participating in panel discussions, or facilitating interactive workshops at Confab 2021. The deadline for completed proposals is November 16, 2020.
Confab 2021 Program
Dates: Monday, May 10 & Tuesday, May 11, 2021
AIBC Confab is a biennial professional development event that provides engaging PD content in a streamlined format. The event was launched in 2019 as a one-day, in-person event – for 2021, Confab will be offered completely online over two days, given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
A variety of presentation formats are sought, including lectures, panel discussions and workshops. The AIBC is looking for presenters who are experts in their fields and familiar with presenting to groups of 30 to 120 individuals. The program will consist of 75-minute sessions and longer interactive workshops.
The AIBC’s Conference Professional Development Committee is specifically interested in presentations related to the following:
- The impact of COVID-19 on architectural design, project delivery, and community engagement
- Firm continuity in light of working from home measures
- Innovative concepts, methodologies, and technologies in architecture
- Designing with the BC Energy Step Code and/or Passive House
- Urban planning policy and design; affordable and/or temporary housing
- Architectural theory and critique
- Heritage and adaptive reuse
- Cross-cultural influences on architecture
- Reimagining residential spaces and their uses; and the impact of these spaces on mental health
The following criteria will be examined when reviewing and selecting submissions:
- Inspired content that is clear, concise and educational in nature;
- Relevance to the profession of architecture;
- Compliant with the necessary standards for AIBC’s Continuing Education System; and
- Qualified speakers with experience presenting at similar regional, national or international conferences (past experience presenting online is an asset, but not required).
New this year: given the online nature of the event, selected presenters will be required to participate in a short 30-minute orientation on best practices for online content delivery and to become familiar with the virtual session platform.
- October 8, 2020: Call for Submissions Issued
- November 16, 2020: Deadline for Completed Proposals
It is anticipated that the Conference PD Committee will identify its recommended selections through formal notification by January 2021.